Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Helping You Stay Spiritually Healthy

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."
Hebrews 10:24,25

I'm having trouble with the introduction to this post so I'll get straight to the punch line: if you are serving on Evangel's Children's Outreach team, then you need to be attending some kind of service or small group on a regular basis where you can be ministered to.

Now for the rambling.

I think it's ironic that we work so hard to reach and keep kids and youth so that they can experience the love of God through his people, have opportunities to corporately praise and worship Him, learn more about Him, grow in Him, and so on, but then we don't seem to think that we need the same for ourselves. We go on and on about the importance of the kids having meaningful relationships with their leaders, but we don't have the same for ourselves. I think you get the point. The same things that we feel are imperative to the spiritual health of our kids don't seem to have the same priority in our own lives.

Your spiritual health is important to me for two reasons. First, I care about you. I want the best for you. I want you to realize your full potential in Christ, and becoming a great kids leader is only part of that. You need to have all the same opportunities that we fight to provide for our kids. Second, it's in my best interest to see you alive and growing in your faith. As much as we want to use words tell the kids what's important and truth, they are going to learn at least as much from our example. You can connect the dots on that one...

If you're thinking that you don't have time to go to your youth group, find a church service to go to, or become a part of a small group, then I have some advice for you: make time. Figure out what you're doing that's not as important and cut it out of your life. If you're too busy because all you do is help at church, cut back on that. Seriously, if it means cutting back on kid's outreach stuff because other ministries are more important to you, then do it. No hard feelings.

Now I have two questions that I hope will stimulate some discussion on here:
1. To what extent can these same things be accomplished through the "family" that we already have within Evangel's Children's Outreach team?
2. To what extent SHOULD these same things be accomplished through the "family" that we already have within Evangel's Children's Outreach team?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home